USCIS Reminds Applicants for Travel Documents to Apply Early

What is an Advance Parole document?  With the word ‘parole’, does it have something to do with jail? Clients have jokingly pointed out that they are not in jail when told that they need an Advance Parole document to travel outside the United States.  Actually, the Advance Parole document has nothing to do with jail.  It is simply the legal term for a travel document. 

Individuals must obtain an Advance Parole document, which is permission to reenter the United States after traveling abroad, if they have:

  • been granted Temporary Protected Status;
  • a pending I-485 application for adjustment of status;
  • a pending application for relief under section 203 of the Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act (NACARA 203);
  • a pending asylum application; or
  • a pending application for legalization.

Given that the holidays are right around the corner and many people visit family overseas, the USCIS has issued an updated fact sheet on the Advance Parole document and traveling outside of the United States.  To read the USCIS fact sheet, please click here.

Persons with pending I-485 adjustment applications who hold valid H-1B (professional worker) or L-1 (intracompany transferee) status can sometimes travel outside the United States without an Advance Parole document.  However, they should consult with an immigration attorney before they do so to determine if this exemption applies to them.