How Do I Obtain a New 6 Year Period in H-1B Status?

A foreign professional worker can obtain H-1B status for up to six years in the United States.  After remaining in this status for six years, barring some exceptions, the worker would have to reside abroad for one year to be eligible for a new period in H-1B status.

Brief trips to the United States for business or pleasure do not interrupt this requirement to be physically present abroad.  However, the time spent in the United States does not count towards fulfilling the one year requirement.  Please note that trips that are not considered ‘brief’ could reset the clock.

Stay tuned to for more answers to your immigration questions.